Uganda is one of the best safari destinations in Africa, the home to the mountain gorillas as well as the source of the Nile. Recently featured a top destination in National Geographic and Lonely Planet, Uganda safari trips cover more than 10 separate destinations. The common tourist destinations in Uganda include:
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Murchison Falls National Park
- Kidepo Valley National Park
- Lake Mburo National Park
- Semuliki National Park
- Mountain Rwenzori National Park
- Mountain Elgon National Park
- Mgahinga National Park
- Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Kibale National Park
- Kampala city
- Entebbe etc
The above tourist destinations offer a variety of tourist activities which you can enjoy on Uganda safaris, see below:
- Gorilla trekking – It’s the major and most selling tourist activity in Uganda. You can go on a gorilla safari in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park situated in south western Uganda. The current cost of gorilla trekking is US$ 700 and US$1500 for Gorilla habituation. Gorilla trekking is the most expensive and most demanded in Uganda.
- Chimpanzee tracking – It’s done in Kibale National park, Toro- Semuliki Game reserve, Budongo Forest, Kalinzu Forest and Kyambura Gorge. The current cost for chimpanzee trekking ranges from US$30 – US$200. You can go a head to do Chimpanzee habituation in Kibale National Park at US$220.
- Game viewing in Uganda – The activity allows visitors to see wild animals and birds up close. Game viewing/ game drives are done in Uganda savannah parks including Lake Mburo National Park, Kidepo Valley National Park, Semuliki National Park, Murchison Falls National Park and Queen Elizabeth National Park. You can explore the Uganda savannah parks on an open safari vehicle to see animals like elephants, Leopards, Buffaloes, Antelopes, Zebras, Giraffes and Lions among others. Expect to see birds like crested crane which is Uganda’s national bird, the rare shoe bill stork, weaverbirds, woodpeckers among others.
- Boat trip – Conducted on most of Uganda waters like lakes and Rivers. Popular boat cruises are done on Kazinga channel, Lake Victoria, Lake Kyoga, River Nile, Victoria Nile, Lake Bunyonyi, Lake Mutanda and Lake Albert among others. While to boat trip, guests enjoy the thrilling viewing mammals like crocodiles, Hippos, Monitor Lizards among others. Birds like king fishers are commonly seen on most of Uganda water bodies.
- Cultural tours – Uganda is not only rich in nature and wildlife, but also has an undiscovered, fascinating cultural heritage. Four major kingdoms and well-established chiefdoms are found in Uganda, all with their own different habits and lifestyles. Our cultural tours – give you the chance to explore the real Africa and learn about the wide, fascinating culture of the tribes in Uganda. Visit Kampala for an introduction with some interesting, historical sites.
- White water rafting on River Nile – Commonly done on Uganda’s longest River. It’s done in Jinja and Kangulumira in Kayunga district. Tourists sit in the rafting boat and sail on rapid waters from the upper stage of the rapids to the lowest. It’s the most amazing adventure on River Nile. Contact African Jungle Adventures OR Gorilla Expedition to help make your dream come true.
- Mountaineering on Rwenzori and Elgon – Mountain Rwenzori is the highest block mountain in Uganda with the highest peak known as Margherita peak while Mountain Elgon is a volcano with the largest Volcanic base in the world at 4,000km². The hikers spend time climbing Mountains but Mt. Rwenzori has the most challenging hike compared to Mt. Elgon.
- Hot Air Balloon – Experience the wilderness of Uganda in a new, unique way. Wake up early to catch the sunrise, as you silently fly over the plains of Queen Elizabeth National Park. Admire the herds of buffaloes, elephants and enjoy the serene tranquility of the African bush…
You now have the opportunity to add an exciting hot air balloon ride to your safari. You will take off early at dawn for a flight that lasts for approximately 1 hour. Rise as the sun rises and float in whatever direction the winds of the morning take you.
- Birding – Uganda is a birding paradise boasting a massive bird list of more of than 1073 recorded bird species making up 50% of Africa’s bird species and 11% of the world species. This huge bird list is contained within a small territory of only 90041 square miles (about the size of Britain), hence having one of the highest concentration of birds per square kilometers in Africa. Birding in Uganda rewards with easy spotting of many birds by covering just a small area or birding for a short period of time.
- City tours – Kampala is the capital city of Uganda and its where most of the city tours are conducted from. In Kampala, you can visit Kasumbi tombs, The Kings Palace, Kabaka’s Lake, Uganda Museum, City malls, Markets and worshipping places among others.